Reusing cupels

A

alikoba

Hello all,
I am thinking if I could use cupels several times. As you know, disposal of cupels
cost so much because they cotain high concentration of Pb. If cupels are reusable,
both purchasing and disposal costs can be reduced.

What I concern is three things:
1. Whether cupels are enough tough for multi-use.
2. Whether Pb absorption capacity of a cupel could decrease after using it once.
3. Whether voparisation of Pb from used cupels can occur while preheating reused cupels.

I would very much appreciate if anyone tell me about them.

Thanks for your help.

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
alikoba said:
Hello all,
I am thinking if I could use cupels several times. As you know, disposal of cupels
cost so much because they cotain high concentration of Pb. If cupels are reusable,
both purchasing and disposal costs can be reduced.

What I concern is three things:
1. Whether cupels are enough tough for multi-use.
2. Whether Pb absorption capacity of a cupel could decrease after using it once.
3. Whether voparisation of Pb from used cupels can occur while preheating reused cupels.

I would very much appreciate if anyone tell me about them.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Alikoba:
Normally, cupels are only made to use once.

You can size the cupel properly so there is not a lot of unused, wasted material left over. Mose cupels absorb about 70% of their weight in lead so weigh your buttons first and use the closest size cupel you have on hand.

Spend cupel material will be yellow in color, with any remaining unused material the original white color. Usually, the unused material will be left at the bottom of the cupel.

If you do size your cupel too small, the excess lead and litharge will run out the bottom onto the hearth plate so be sure and use a good quality furnace bedding like "MABORITE":
http://www.lmine.com/product/17108M.html

Not only will this absorb the excess lead and litharge, but will protect the furnace hearth, brick, elements from spills and fumes.

A

a18674748944

introduce oneself to

Changning City Landscape refractory products factory is a production of cremation as China using crucible ( clay scorifier ) or ( magnesite cupel, bone cupel, jewelry industry cupel ) professional manufacturers, has perfect management system, advanced production technology.

Our products are made of high-quality materials, high temperature resistance, good thermal conductivity, melting high purity, strong corrosion resistance, long service life.

Factory adhere to the "integrity-based, quality first, customer first " business philosophy, with its excellent quality favored by users at home and abroad, the product coverage throughout the country and Hongkong

I plant with advanced equipment, excellent product quality, to enter the international market and strong competition in the market price, products are exported to Canada, the United States and Australia.

Our products to the quality of the irreplaceable advantages, become the first choice - the laboratory is not only China, but all over the world.

Contact person: Hu Hongzhao

Telephone ( fax ): 0734-7611877

Mobile phone: 18674748944

E-mail: 710887574@qq.com

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Was told that you could crush the used cupels and recover the lead.
Rabbit, you probably can. You would need to mix with a suitable flux that would complex with the MgO to form a proper slag. You will also need to add flour or another reducing agent to take the PbO to metallic lead. I am not sure of the particulars, but that is a start...

R

Rabbit

Interesting, think I'll work on that. Hate to have to waste them if it's possible to recycle.

C

carlybkk

We are highly intrested in recovering the lead from spent cuples, crushing the cuples in Australia and exporting the product to Asia for the Pd exstraction, does anyone have any information in regards to this and if it is at all possible to export the ground cuples from Austraila, as it is clasified as a waste product with high Pd, im wondering if this is even a possibile as an export item.

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
We are highly intrested in recovering the lead from spent cuples, crushing the cuples in Australia and exporting the product to Asia for the Pd exstraction, does anyone have any information in regards to this and if it is at all possible to export the ground cuples from Austraila, as it is clasified as a waste product with high Pd, im wondering if this is even a possibile as an export item.
You will need to check with the government agencies that manage this- both in the exporting and importing countries. There also may not be a great advantage to crushing the cupels before shipping.

C

carlybkk

You will need to check with the government agencies that manage this- both in the exporting and importing countries. There also may not be a great advantage to crushing the cupels before shipping.
Thankyou for your responce, does anyone have any information on companies that collect used cuples in either Australia or USA, any information would be greatly appreciated.

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Thankyou for your responce, does anyone have any information on companies that collect used cuples in either Australia or USA, any information would be greatly appreciated.
This is usually a regional question- so you would want to talk to someone in the specific area you will be hauling. One that works with the labs and mines in Nevada is:

Thomas Paul Enviro Trans
3885 Brant Street
Reno, NV 89508
Phone: (775) 971-9999

C

carlybkk

This is usually a regional question- so you would want to talk to someone in the specific area you will be hauling. One that works with the labs and mines in Nevada is:

Thomas Paul Enviro Trans
3885 Brant Street
Reno, NV 89508
Phone: (775) 971-9999
Thankyou for the connection, greatly appreciated, im having trouble finding an email address to get in touch with Thomas, if any one has this information could you please pass it onto me

W

wotavidone

In Australia Cleartech, Cleanaway, and Transpacific will all take them off your hands - for a price.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited: