PGM analysis

D

Dave

Hi

I have recently been asked to oversee our PGM department in work without having worked in their labs. I am slowly but surely getting to grips with method selection but some things still haven't clicked into place yet.

I am ok with our low level TPM samples that have to be preconcentrated via Fire Assay but I am struggling with the high grade complex materials.

If I know that I am going to get a residue after acid digestion with aqua regia (i.e. Rh, Ru, Ir or Os) should I pre-empt this and send the samples through our furnaces in a NiS flux? Should I attempt do a peroxide fusion? Or should I do a direct acid attack and then tackle any residue that remains?

I would be very interested to hear how other people tackle these types of samples.

Thanks

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Hi

I have recently been asked to oversee our PGM department in work without having worked in their labs. I am slowly but surely getting to grips with method selection but some things still haven't clicked into place yet.

I am ok with our low level TPM samples that have to be preconcentrated via Fire Assay but I am struggling with the high grade complex materials.

If I know that I am going to get a residue after acid digestion with aqua regia (i.e. Rh, Ru, Ir or Os) should I pre-empt this and send the samples through our furnaces in a NiS flux? Should I attempt do a peroxide fusion? Or should I do a direct acid attack and then tackle any residue that remains?

I would be very interested to hear how other people tackle these types of samples.

Thanks
Dave:
Do you have existing methods that are used? This is difficult to answer without knowing more about the type and grade of material. High grade analysis is potentially a very complex scenario. If you are having to match assays with another party you may want to review their procedures- although their methods may have a bias that favors their position.

You can review the texts here and may find some books that have procedures that will be helpful:
www.lmine.com/category/assaying.html