Furnace Tiles

C

Crucible2

Saw Furnace Tiles advertised on an Australian Assay web site to protect hearth plate (tray)
from fusion spills and boil-overs. They appear to be ceramic. Wondering if such a product is available
for order in U.S. or Canada

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Saw Furnace Tiles advertised on an Australian Assay web site to protect hearth plate (tray)
from fusion spills and boil-overs. They appear to be ceramic. Wondering if such a product is available
for order in U.S. or Canada
Usually, the hearth plate is a sacrificial item, used to protect the underlying furnace brick (and elements). Typically a furnace bedding powder (like bone ash or magnesia) would be placed on top to absorb spills:
www.lmine.com/category/furnace_bedding.html

Adding another plate to protect the inexpensive hearth plate seems redundant. Depending on the size, hearth plates are quite low cost. For instance, this plate which is 18x11 inches is under $30:
www.lmine.com/product/26460.html

C

Crucible2

Expensive hearth plates

Usually, the hearth plate is a sacrificial item, used to protect the underlying furnace brick (and elements). Typically a furnace bedding powder (like bone ash or magnesia) would be placed on top to absorb spills:
www.lmine.com/category/furnace_bedding.html

Adding another plate to protect the inexpensive hearth plate seems redundant. Depending on the size, hearth plates are quite low cost. For instance, this plate which is 18x11 inches is under $30:
www.lmine.com/product/26460.html
We have 3 Mine Assay Supply furnaces (Williams & Wilson type)- 2 for fusions and 1 cupelling.
Silicon Carbide Hearth plates are $860.00 ea. an extra layer of protection besides bone ash doesn't seem redundant to me!

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
We have 3 Mine Assay Supply furnaces (Williams & Wilson type)- 2 for fusions and 1 cupelling.
Silicon Carbide Hearth plates are $860.00 ea. an extra layer of protection besides bone ash doesn't seem redundant to me!
There are less expensive hearth plates for that furnace available, like these:
www.lmine.com/product/266374.html

If you want an extra, less expensive layer of protection on top of that, you could add a thin clay plate, like one of these 18"x18" plates:
www.lmine.com/product/269501.html

The Maborite furnace bedding cures with a harder surface, and tends to stick less to the bottom of the crucibles and cupels and may be worth considering:
www.lmine.com/product/17108M.html

And finally, a good shovel/scraper combo makes cleaning up spills and maintaining the furnace bedding easier:
www.lmine.com/product/19231.html