Fire Assay Equipment

V

vince

Hi, I want to set up a fire assay business for gold, silver, platinum and palladium. Would someone be able to tell me exactly what equipment I need (for example, types of furnaces etc)?

Thanks
Vince

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Hi, I want to set up a fire assay business for gold, silver, platinum and palladium. Would someone be able to tell me exactly what equipment I need (for example, types of furnaces etc)?

Thanks
Vince
Hi Vince:
You will need the appropriate sample prep equipment (this will depend on the type and size of sample).

For the actual assaying, you will need balances (both sample and microbalance).
You will need probably two furnaces: fusion and cupellation.
These can be either gas or electric. Pay close attention to venting of both furnaces to remove lead fumes. Also, pay close attention to air/oxygen in the cupellation furnace. Proper airflow is needed to provide oxygen to the molten lead for oxidation to PbO.
There are quite a few specialty tools and safety equipment you will need (tongs, gloves, hoods, etc).

If you can provide a bit more information on the type of samples, and number of samples per day I can provide more specific recommendations.

Mark

V

vince

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response. Just to confirm, you are saying I require 2 types of furnaces to do fire assaying? I was hope to buy one furnace to do both assay and melting of high temp precious metals (PT and PD).

Thanks again.

Adam

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response. Just to confirm, you are saying I require 2 types of furnaces to do fire assaying? I was hope to buy one furnace to do both assay and melting of high temp precious metals (PT and PD).

Thanks again.

Adam
Two furnaces is better, since you are reducing in the crucible fusion and oxidizing in the cupellation step. You can get away with one furnace if it is electric, or if it is a gas furnace with a muffle. You cannot cupel in a gas furnace if there are combustion gasses in the chamber. The gas combustion consumes all the oxygen, and the cupellation process requires oxygen.

S

silicascientific

hi vince,

many of the Fire assayers are using Platinum Parting trays, they perform very good but are very expensive, currently many assayers in india, Middle east and europe and some Americans are using Quartz Parting trays which gives good results in Fire assaying process.
i can help you fabricating a few pieces to you.