best ore crusher???

R

rookieminer

Hello,

I'm working on getting a testing lab together to test my own samples. I have a pretty good idea on what I want for most of the equipment, except a crusher. I'm looking at the 11" impact crusher that action mining sells. It seems like a good unit, but I am new to this and don't know a lot about the competition. I would need something with simillar capabilities as this one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rookieminer

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
rookieminer said:
Hello,

I'm working on getting a testing lab together to test my own samples. I have a pretty good idea on what I want for most of the equipment, except a crusher. I'm looking at the 11" impact crusher that action mining sells. It seems like a good unit, but I am new to this and don't know a lot about the competition. I would need something with simillar capabilities as this one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rookieminer
I would be a little careful with a impact crusher like that. It is more of a "hobby" piece of equipment, and not typically used in commercial operations. It looks like the screen is 10 mesh, so it will only grind to 10 mesh which is not even close to fine enough for fire assaying. And, impact crushers/hammermills are usually suitable for softer rock, like coal, limestone, etc. Silicious rocks will wear the hammers very quickly. I imagine the material has to be 1/2 inch or finer to feed this type of mill. Do you have a jaw crusher to do the initial crush?

On the other hand, it will be difficult to find something else in the same price range- that is a very low cost piece of equipment.

R

rookieminer

Thanks for the reply fireguy,

As you can probably guess by my username I am new to this. I have been prospecting for load deposits for only about two years. I would like to start learning how to do my own assays, and I understand that this will not happen over night. I was referred to this site from another forum I spend time on, and after reading all of the posts I think it is a great resource. There seems to be a lot of experience in the group and I hope to be able to learn from it.
I have a home made roller crusher that will crush down to 1/4" minus. Most of the ores I will be working with are very hard silicious ores. They claim in their advertisment that it will crush to 400 mesh with several passes, and to 150 mesh on the first pass. Do you think this is unlikely?
If you have any other recomendations I would love to hear about them. I would rather spend more money on a crusher that will work well than less on one that won't.

Thanks again,

rookieminer

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
rookieminer said:
Thanks for the reply fireguy,

As you can probably guess by my username I am new to this. I have been prospecting for load deposits for only about two years. I would like to start learning how to do my own assays, and I understand that this will not happen over night. I was referred to this site from another forum I spend time on, and after reading all of the posts I think it is a great resource. There seems to be a lot of experience in the group and I hope to be able to learn from it.
I have a home made roller crusher that will crush down to 1/4" minus. Most of the ores I will be working with are very hard silicious ores. They claim in their advertisment that it will crush to 400 mesh with several passes, and to 150 mesh on the first pass. Do you think this is unlikely?
If you have any other recomendations I would love to hear about them. I would rather spend more money on a crusher that will work well than less on one that won't.

Thanks again,

rookieminer
I think very unlikely. Is this a "flow through" grinder? If so, some material the size of the exit screen will pass. Some of the material will be ground finer. But, the wear will probably be substantial so prepare for lots of maintenance and repair parts.

Perhaps look for a used BICO plate/disc grinder or something similar. Or, a small batch ball or pebble mill.

R

RGJohn

There is no one 'BEST' crusher. The best one is the one that best fits what you've got that needs crushing.
-----
It may initially seem that I'm being a 'sweet patoot' by saying this but that's not my intention. Is your stuff (the material to be crushed) the kind that absorbs impact? If I put it on a thick slab of iron and whack it, does it go 'oooh' or or is it friable? The kind that just shatters. Lots of gradations in between too.
-----
And just so we're speaking the same language, by 'crushing' I'm talking about reducing in size from mountain on down to minus 3/8'ths or so. Maybe 1/2". For full size mountains, let's go 3/4".
--
We still together?
------
Grinding, pulverisation, etc. means vastly more finely ground stuff. Your basic bug dust. The finer the better.
----
Together yet even still?

R

Rabbit

I realize this is an old thread but my input on the Action Mining pulverizer is thus. I have the 10" pulverizer and it will take material, even hard stuff, down to minus 200 mesh minumum. I use a HD bucket vacuum on the outlet to draw the pulverized material into a catch bucket, then an additional bucket after that which will catch finer material than 200 mesh. True It will only take 1/2" rock so I have a small table top crusher that will take 2-3" rock down to the right size. If I have multiple buckets of 2-4" rock I have a 4000 Pulverizer that will take it down to 1/4" to 150 Mesh.