Silver Ore Values

P

pjordan

I am interested in information on testing of galena that runs 70 oz silver/ton with zinc,copper and gold in the ore. My question is what test would help to figure out how to get my values. I am leaning toward nitric in a bucket with specified weight but how do I know the mix to get the right percentage of acid. Or do you have other idea?

It has already been assayed, I'm looking for a way to get the values out.

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
pjordan said:
I am interested in information on testing of galena that runs 70 oz silver/ton with zinc,copper and gold in the ore. My question is what test would help to figure out how to get my values. I am leaning toward nitric in a bucket with specified weight but how do I know the mix to get the right percentage of acid. Or do you have other idea?

It has already been assayed, I'm looking for a way to get the values out.
If you are trying to "recover" your values,this is a complex question. Normally, sulfide material like you are describing is easy to concentrate by flotation or gravity concentration. You can then refine your concentrates or send them to a processor.

If you are trying to do something yourself on a small scale, this is going to be difficult. The galena is not going to be easy to dissolve in acid, and your acid consumption could be high.

You could try roasting to remove the sulfide, which may make your metals more available to extraction.

R

RGJohn

I agree that nitric or any other type of acid leach will prove both expensive and ineffective.
----
I don't know of a brief answer to your question however. My instinct is to say, crush and grind the ore to liberation. Galena is easy to overgrind and it slimes to beat heck. Disproportionate amount of your silver seems to be in the slimes as well so you have to watch that. Froth flotation next. Zinc is no good mixed with lead, so that has to be separated. The copper depends upon the amount and its relation to the other minerals but in general, it's gotta be separated too. Froth flotation excels at this. However, the chemicals used to do it are not so easily gotten and one needs a definate scheme to accomplish this. Gold may well go with either the copper or lead, again depending upon the relation of the minerals to one another. If there is free gold, you'll want a gold trap at the discharge end of your ball mill. Always grab gold as its produced.
So you know have maybe some free gold in hand and a number of various concentrates. The galena should now run several hundred ounces of silver per ton. Plus its lead values which are not insignificant. However, what do you do now? To my knowledge there are no custom smelters any longer in the United States. The lead concentrate 'used to be' sent to Old Mexico, and the copper concentrate to Trail, B.C. Anymore, I dunno.
And of course, you need all the equipment to do all of this. Although you may be able to find some lab scale to pilot plant size stuff at a college that has a mineral science school. Maybe.
----
If you try to roast galena, or any other type of sulphide ore, you are going to produce mammoth amounts of sulphur dioxide. You can't just do that. Plus the half roasted cinder ( it's impossible to 100% completely drive everything out) contains all manner of sulphates and what-have-you that eat up your acids faster than the unroasted stuff does and to as little purpose. Same is true of cyanide leach of roasted sulphides. One does better to leach unroasted as its easier to control the ph, which of course one must absolutely do.
------
Well just some thoughts. Good luck. I can see why it seems so attractive. I just wish I had a 'push button' response that return to you a reasonable profit for your effort.