silver assay for sterling

4metals

Which assay type is most accurate for sterling silver, a corrected cupellation, or a titration?

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
4metals said:
Which assay type is most accurate for sterling silver, a corrected cupellation, or a titration?
The titration is probably ultimately more accurate, but is very tedious if done manually, or quite expensive if you have to buy an automated titrator. And, you only get a silver result.

The cupellation method has the advantage of reporting both the gold and silver (needed for bullion analysis), and is quite accurate if done by a proper corrected method.

The SMA (http://www.sma-online.org) had a bullion committee which developed a corrected cupellation method which was ultimately adopted by the ASTM.

4metals

Can you go into any details of the procedure, how does it differ from the classical corrected fire assay? I did not see a description worthy of luring me into SMA membership in the link, if I missed it perhaps you could copy it so it can be read here.

Thanks

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
4metals said:
Can you go into any details of the procedure, how does it differ from the classical corrected fire assay? I did not see a description worthy of luring me into SMA membership in the link, if I missed it perhaps you could copy it so it can be read here.

Thanks
I haven't seen the ASTM procedure for a while. As I recall there was not anything out of the ordinary.
Be sure you run a preliminary bullion assay to determine the proper amount of gold, silver, and copper to add to your "proof". This will give you the proper corrections. The gold, silver, and copper used for the proof should be high purity.