Parting Method

D

Dave

Hey Guys

I have just got more involved in the parting area in work and I am questioning the method that we use. Seems a bit overkill to the methods I have found on the Internet and in books.

We start it off in cold 1-7 nitric acid in porcelain crucibles on a hot plate @ 200oC. This is left to simmer until the reaction ceases. We then top up with 50% nitric and evaporate to half the volume.

Then we decant off the solution, wash with pure water and then put back on the hot plate in full 50%. Reduce volume to half again. Decant off and then wash 3 times.

Just wondering what method(s) everyone else uses?

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Hey Guys

I have just got more involved in the parting area in work and I am questioning the method that we use. Seems a bit overkill to the methods I have found on the Internet and in books.

We start it off in cold 1-7 nitric acid in porcelain crucibles on a hot plate @ 200oC. This is left to simmer until the reaction ceases. We then top up with 50% nitric and evaporate to half the volume.

Then we decant off the solution, wash with pure water and then put back on the hot plate in full 50%. Reduce volume to half again. Decant off and then wash 3 times.

Just wondering what method(s) everyone else uses?
Dave:
What kind of samples are these? Routine assay samples? Bullion? High grade products?

That does seem a bit extreme. Was this method developed against any testing to show the benefit? Or (more likely) "just what was always done"?

D

Dave

They are routine assay samples of varying materials, from high grade bullion to electronic scrap. I doubt the method was tested. It was probably the first method that was tried that worked and was never optimized.

I have just started testing the method of starting off in 1-7 until action ceases. Decanting off the silver nitrate and then (with out washing with water) putting back on in full 50% to make sure parting is complete. Then 3 washes before drying and annealing. This seems sufficient enough in my opinion. And much quicker.

Is this method similar to what you use?

I have read some methods that get the nitric acid hot and before dropping the beads in. I think this is to stop the gold from breaking. Is this true and does it work?

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
They are routine assay samples of varying materials, from high grade bullion to electronic scrap. I doubt the method was tested. It was probably the first method that was tried that worked and was never optimized.

I have just started testing the method of starting off in 1-7 until action ceases. Decanting off the silver nitrate and then (with out washing with water) putting back on in full 50% to make sure parting is complete. Then 3 washes before drying and annealing. This seems sufficient enough in my opinion. And much quicker.

Is this method similar to what you use?

I have read some methods that get the nitric acid hot and before dropping the beads in. I think this is to stop the gold from breaking. Is this true and does it work?
Dave: usually, breaking of the gold is caused by too much silver being present. We always added hot nitric. I think 1:7 is a little weak- maybe try 1:4. After the reaction stops I don't think you would need to add fresh acid- just leave it cooking a bit after the reaction stops and wash a couple of times with distilled water. Maybe do a couple of tests comparing this to your current method.