Learning assaying at a college or University

Y

yossarian

Hi, I am new here, I have searched on google as well as posed this question in another forum, someone there recommended I ask the question here, assuming the people on this forum would be more knowledgeable on the topic.

I am looking for good reputable Educational Institutions that offer a comprehensive program in metallurgical assaying. I found the BC Institute of technology offers a 2 year program with both in-class and online distance studies and the university of montana offers at least one course. However finding a college or university off google seems dubious at best, without at least some word of mouth endorsements.

So, Have any of you studied assaying in a formal setting? who offers the best programs? and who else is good? and if you are experienced in the subject, would you recommend schooling? in other words, is it necessary or useful? does the processing of assaying change drastically for different materials? for example mineral orr Vs E-waste?

any comment or advice you may have is welcome and appreciated.

Just in-case you are wondering, my boss wants to send me to study the trade and he will be paying the cost of education.

P

pablohdez3

Well right now I'm enrolled in the British Columbia Institute of Technology, they currently offer an Assayer Training course, this is a distant learning course. You can find more information about it here: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/5360nobcit#overview; the program is nice and is splited into 5 modules; Assayer Training Introduction, Mineral ID and Fire Assay, Wet Assay/Qualitative Analysis, Analytical Instrumentation and Laboratory Practicum. So far I'm in the Fire Assay module.

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
Hi, I am new here, I have searched on google as well as posed this question in another forum, someone there recommended I ask the question here, assuming the people on this forum would be more knowledgeable on the topic.

I am looking for good reputable Educational Institutions that offer a comprehensive program in metallurgical assaying. I found the BC Institute of technology offers a 2 year program with both in-class and online distance studies and the university of montana offers at least one course. However finding a college or university off google seems dubious at best, without at least some word of mouth endorsements.

So, Have any of you studied assaying in a formal setting? who offers the best programs? and who else is good? and if you are experienced in the subject, would you recommend schooling? in other words, is it necessary or useful? does the processing of assaying change drastically for different materials? for example mineral orr Vs E-waste?

any comment or advice you may have is welcome and appreciated.

Just in-case you are wondering, my boss wants to send me to study the trade and he will be paying the cost of education.
I have heard from many attendees that the Montana Tech program is excellent.

S

safexcrane

Dear Yossarian,

I heard about both of sourced you mentioned and also got good reviews about them. So you are on the right way. However you should take some more references from other members.