Atomic Absorption Maintenance

J

JonSnow

What does everyone use for their ultrasonic water bath solution when cleaning their burner head, nebulizer, spray chamber ect....

I have been using either Mr. Clean or Lysol all purpose cleaner.

Have anything better?? :D

J

JonSnow

Nebulizer Tip

I thought I would share a tip for my friends out there using Perkin Elmer AA’s with stainless steel nebulizer assemblies.

Over the years, my largest cost in consumable parts for my Perkin Elmer has been the Venturi and Nebulizers. This is due to the high volume of aqua regia day in and day out attacking the stainless steel. Another problem is silver chloride deposits reducing the efficiency of the aerosol dispersion. I have reduced this problem dramatically with a very simple addition to my shut down procedure.
I simply remover the entire nebulizer assembly and place it in a clean jar with lid filled with DI water.

I can’t tell you how much an extra 5 minutes a day has saved me over the long haul. Not only does it neutralize any acids that may remain even after a good rinse cycle, but it keeps any silver chloride deposits moist so that absorbents have remained extremely high over a long time.

Makes me wonder why our AA manufacture friends never recommended this trick to us.
$$$
I even do this for my Thermo Ice, not for the acid concern so much as the silver chloride salts.

If anyone else would like to share ideas or tips, I’m sure everyone in this forum would really appreciate it.