anyone have a smelting oven for sale?

P

PyroFritz

I have gold powder that I am trying to melt and so far... I'm on the losing side. I guess I need an oven that gets me to that magic temperature.
Anyway, I'm in the market for an oven or furnace... or service that will melt my powder. Can anyone please help?

fireguy

fireguy

Supermoderator
I have gold powder that I am trying to melt and so far... I'm on the losing side. I guess I need an oven that gets me to that magic temperature.
Anyway, I'm in the market for an oven or furnace... or service that will melt my powder. Can anyone please help?
Fritz:
Is your material pure gold? Or are there gangue impurities present?

You will probably need to have a furnace that will get to about 2200ºF. You can use either a gas or electric.

This gas furnace is fast and inexpensive:
27403zZz.jpg
Model "A" Pot Furnace for #8 Crucible

Electric furnaces like this include an electronic controller which is nice- just set the desired temperature and it will maintain that temperature:
ET911 POT FURNCEzZz.jpg
Pot Furnace w/ Electronic Control (115v)

You will also need to add the appropriate flux. Your particular material will determine what flux is appropriate. The "Chapman" flux is a good starting point:
1720061zZz.jpg
Gold Smelting / Refining Flux - 50 lb Bucket - Chapman Recipe

A couple of good books will help a lot. The book by Chapman is a good "backyard" beginner book:
90516zZz.jpg
How To Smelt Your Gold & Silver, Hank Chapman - 2019 Revised Edition

"Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Waste" is more advanced:
17208zZz.jpg
Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Waste

Last edited: